There are a few cures which perhaps go unexplored and hence undocumented in the medical world. That’s because these are largely local remedies practiced for ages by people world over. In our language all these cures are called as “totkas”. I was never a firm believer in “totkas” until recently. I got a very bad pimple on my face, it got so big and infected that I was down with fever for three days. My left cheek was swollen and it hurt real bad. The doctor cut it open, drained the septic and gave me a pack full of (anti-biotics which I hate so much) and off course a quite inflated bill. A week later later I was my old self. But the week beyond that another equally large and menacing pimple appeared on my face, just two inches away from the last one. This time I wowed not to take anti-biotics and braved the discomfort, killing it with subtle doses of Polyfax.
The week beyond that had more surprises for me. This time the congenator appeared on my nose but with a greater fury accompanied by pain that defied all logic. That’s when my mother-in-law intervened with a “totka”. Although I am not a big fan of MILs but just this time I let her will prevail. The “totka” she recommended was loathsome to me in the literal sense. Bitter gourd juice, she said. “Ewwww”! But believe me, it worked like magic and I am forced to share with you people for your own good. Here’s what to do:
1. Take a medium sized Bitter gourd.
2. Peel its skin.
3. Cut it open and take out the seeds.
4. Put it in a blender and blend for few minutes, no water please! Just a pinch of salt.
5. Now, take 1/4 glass out of it and gulp it down. Yeah! in one go. And when you do it; it won’t hurt to pretend that you are enjoying it.
6. Follow it up with something tasty. She recommended a paratha with desi ghee. I know you won’t be able to make one if you are located in the Western part of planet Earth specially if you are a non-Desi.
7. You take a 1/4 glass of this heavenly juice for three days, that’s it. That should kill it. At least it did in my case. After that the measly sucker hasn’t appeared so far, thank God.
Actually the taste isn’t all that bad. Its the burps that will nauseate you! Enjoy it till it lasts 🙂